[OpenAFS-devel] More on the PAM modules, pthreads, and other joys

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:17:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I had some time today to work some more on fixing the way the OpenAFS PAM
> modules are built for Debian, to try to localize the changes more and
> minimize the Debian diff.  That effort was mostly successful, but I ran
> into a few oddities.
>
> First, the libafsrpc and libafsauthent shared libraries weren't being
> built with -fPIC on most Linux architectures.  Bug #20781 has a patch that
> I'll commit if it looks good to someone else as well.
>
> Second, the PAM modules wouldn't work properly with the pthread libraries
> (assertion error in rxkad/rxkad_common.c) because the rxkad
> thread-specific data was being retrieved before it was initialized.  I
> tracked this down to ka_UserAuthenticateGeneral and friends never calling
> rx_Init.

If, if it belongs in kauth, it should be in ka_Init, except that probably
secretly there are cases you don't want to call it either. It doesn't
belong in ka_UserAuthenticateGeneral.

Probably there should be more code in rx that makes sure you initialized
it, but that will get messy fast.