[OpenAFS-devel] More on the PAM modules, pthreads, and other joys

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:41:46 -0700

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> First, the libafsrpc and libafsauthent shared libraries weren't being
>> built with -fPIC on most Linux architectures.  Bug #20781 has a patch
>> that I'll commit if it looks good to someone else as well.

>> Second, the PAM modules wouldn't work properly with the pthread
>> libraries (assertion error in rxkad/rxkad_common.c) because the rxkad
>> thread-specific data was being retrieved before it was initialized.  I
>> tracked this down to ka_UserAuthenticateGeneral and friends never
>> calling rx_Init.

> If, if it belongs in kauth, it should be in ka_Init, except that
> probably secretly there are cases you don't want to call it either. It
> doesn't belong in ka_UserAuthenticateGeneral.

The PAM module (except for the function to do password changing) doesn't
call ka_Init either.  I don't know if that's because there's some reason
not to or just because it wasn't needed.