[OpenAFS-devel] Re: openafs is really faster on linux-2.4. than 2.6

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:05:04 -0500

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:49:20AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:
> > On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:32:56AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> I haven't seen reports of those problems since 1.3.82, which added fixes
> >> for them.
>
> > What openafs packages are in debian sarge?
>
> 1.3.81, which seems to work fairly well with the sarge kernels but
> probably won't work if you try a newer 2.6 kernel than what shipped with
> sarge.

It mostly works with 2.6.8, but has the preempt locking issues. If I'm
running a newer kernel, I run the latest openafs anyway.

The only really obnoxious problem I have is figureing out which version
of openafs the loaded libafs.ko module came from.

On a linux kernel vmlinux file on a ppc machine, I can do 'cat
/proc/version', or 'strings vmlinux | grep -e "Linux version', but as
near as I can tell, there's no uniquifiying string in libafs or afsd.