[OpenAFS-devel] Re: openafs is really faster on linux-2.4. than 2.6

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:11:53 -0700

Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:

> On a linux kernel vmlinux file on a ppc machine, I can do 'cat
> /proc/version', or 'strings vmlinux | grep -e "Linux version', but as
> near as I can tell, there's no uniquifiying string in libafs or afsd.

wanderer:/root# strings /lib/modules/2.6.12-1-686/fs/openafs.ko | grep OpenAFS
@(#) OpenAFS 1.3.87 built  2005-08-14

You probably care about the version of the kernel module, not afsd.  The
version of afsd and the version of the kernel module actually don't have
to match at all, although of course it's recommended.  (I've run systems
with a 1.3.87 kernel and a 1.2.13 afsd before.)