[OpenAFS-devel] Backing up AFS with Amanda

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed, 11 May 2005 22:49:41 -0400 (EDT)

--1417697521-1842065972-1115866181=:2929

Yes, duplicating the name we used does seem like it could lead to some
confusion.  I'm not sure why my name appears in one of Marc's files but
that could lead to confusion, too, seeing as I'm the primary instigator
of the ccmr.cornell.edu amanda-afs.

The big differences I see between the two are:
  - we do real size estimates of both level 0 and higher incremental
    levels, while Marc just takes a SWAG at incremental level estimates.

  - we implemented a slightly simplified version of the traditional AFS
    backup concept of volume sets, while Marc lists every AFS volume
    individually in the amanda disklist.  That might work but I didn't
    want to clutter the disklist that way.  In a cell of any size it will
    result in a HUGE disklist.  Also there use to be a problem that a
    large list of entries from a single client would fail due to the
    amanda server trying to list them all in an single UDP packet request
    to the client.  That was solved for the most common cases a few years
    ago when the max packet payload size was increased, but I somehow
    doubt it was increased enough for Marc's setup to work in a large AFS
    cell.

Also, Marc, you might be interested to know that I got a small patch
accepted into amanda that allows for disklist entries to begin with
"afs:" which will signal selfcheck not to try to check the "directory".

And Kris, while we did make some use of the API's, we also call vos dump
directly to do the actual volume dumps.

-Mitch