[OpenAFS-devel] setgroups() fails to change pag under linux 2.6

Roland Kuhn rkuhn@e18.physik.tu-muenchen.de
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 16:14:09 +0200

--Apple-Mail-9-731990701

Hi Chas!

On 9 Aug 2006, at 15:41, chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:

> In message
> <17623.34774.671617.38354@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu>,Garrett Wollman w
> rites:
>> Doesn't matter, so long as each PAG gets a distinct memory location.
>> In a real implementation, it would probably be a pointer to a
>> reference count.
>
> negative.  it really should just be an indentifier that is used to
> group
> together objects.  there should not be identifier reuse.  pointers to
> kernel memory are very likely to be reused (mostly due to the slab
> allocator).  since you might pass these identifiers to a user process
> you cant let them repeat since you have no idea how long a user
> process
> might hold onto these things.

You got me curious. I should probably watched this thread more
closely and maybe it would then be clear to me: Why should userspace
ever see a PAG identifier? What should it be able to do with it?

 From my (very limited) understanding a PAG should behave essentially
like a session: it is inherited by fork()/exec(), you can detach from
it, you can create a new one and you can modify it (klog). For none
of these operations you need to know how the kernel internally
handles this...

Ciao,
                     Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str., 85748 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12575; Telefax 089/289-12570

--Apple-Mail-9-731990701
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-9-731990701--