[OpenAFS-devel] rx help: getting ubik_Call() to fail quickly and quietly

Adam Megacz megacz@hcoop.net
Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:52:28 -0700

[gmane postings to openafs-devel don't seem to be going through]

Hi.  I'm putting the finishing touches on a library which makes calls
to ptserver via ubik_Call().  It's really important that:

  1. Nothing is printed to stderr (syslog is okay) by the AFS
     libraries, no matter what and...

  2. ...if the network is down (say, early in the boot process), the
     calls fail quickly, without re-attempting.

       rx failed to send packet: rx_sendmsg: No route to host
       rx failed to send packet: rx_sendmsg: No route to host
       rx failed to send packet: rx_sendmsg: No route to host
       rx failed to send packet: rx_sendmsg: No route to host

     Currently it seems that if the network is down, the rx libraries
     will try several times, with some sort of sleep interval
     in-between.  I would like to inhibit that and simply give up
     after the first attempt.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

  - a