[OpenAFS-devel] N800, Mobile AFS, and changing IP addresses

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:50:10 -0400

Hi,

I have a working startup script for the openafs client on OS2008 for the
N8X0, but I get the following error during AFS startup if wifi is disabled:
Starting AFS services: openafs afsd.
ADVISEADDR: Error in specifying interface addresses:No existing IP
interfaces found
afsd: All AFS daemons started.

The message is generated by afsd on startup. On the N800, the wlan0 and
lo interfaces are normally there, but the wlan0 interface doesn't exist
while in disconnected mode. The above error message appears when the
wlan0 interface isn't there. I can still do ls /afs/dementia.org after I
reconnect to wifi.

So, my questions are the following:

1. Is the error message innocuous?
2. What should be done when the network comes up, down, or gets a new IP?
3. How can I deal with wifi networks that block AFS?

What should be done to make AFS work better on the N800 and other mobile
devices with spotty network connectivity and roaming?

When I chatted with Simon on IRC, he mentioned that Derrick has some of
this done for Mac OS X. What should be done next?

Thanks,
Jason