[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Re: [GSoC2010] the kafs project of OpenAFS

Wang Lei wang840925@gmail.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2010 00:13:58 +0800

Yes. It should be that you said. The AFSDB records must be supported.
I would implement them step by step.

 As by SRV records would provides  VLDB  servers and PTS servers
separately, and with no default ports, that the kafs would have
something changed, I thougth. So I would to have a look.

Thank you!

2010/4/9 Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>:
> --On Friday, April 09, 2010 09:27:09 PM +0800 Wang Lei
> <wang840925@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks! RFC1183 seems old. The SRV RR provides more information. I
>> will use the SRV RR, if needed. I would judge the kafs and talk with
>> my project mentor.
>
> Old is not the same as no longer in use. =C2=A0For example, RFC's 791, 79=
2, and
> 793 describe important standard protocols which are in wide use today, in
> basically the same form as described 29 years ago.
>
> The choice of whether to publish AFSDB and/or SRV records is up to a cell
> administrator. =C2=A0As a client implementor, you should support both. =
=C2=A0AFSDB
> records are widely deployed today, and it is not reasonable to tell users=
 of
> your software that they cannot talk to cells using them without first
> convincing the cell adminstrator to convince his/her DNS administrator to
> publish SRV records. =C2=A0In some organizations, that process could take=
 months
> or years!
>
> -- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+@cmu.edu>
> =C2=A0Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

--=20
Best Wish.

Wang Lei