[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Re: [GSoC2010] the kafs project of OpenAFS

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:50:46 -0400

--On Friday, April 09, 2010 09:27:09 PM +0800 Wang Lei
<wang840925@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks! RFC1183 seems old. The SRV RR provides more information. I
> will use the SRV RR, if needed. I would judge the kafs and talk with
> my project mentor.

Old is not the same as no longer in use.  For example, RFC's 791, 792, and
793 describe important standard protocols which are in wide use today, in
basically the same form as described 29 years ago.

The choice of whether to publish AFSDB and/or SRV records is up to a cell
administrator.  As a client implementor, you should support both.  AFSDB
records are widely deployed today, and it is not reasonable to tell users
of your software that they cannot talk to cells using them without first
convincing the cell adminstrator to convince his/her DNS administrator to
publish SRV records.  In some organizations, that process could take months
or years!