[OpenAFS-devel] Attempting to build a test environment. Help needed

Sanket Agarwal sanket@sanketagarwal.com
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:01:46 +0530

--0016363b808c393a9f048483b49a

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Sanket Agarwal <sanket@sanketagarwal.com>wrote:

> Hi Mohammed Gamal,
>
> I was in the same place few days back! As I had connectivity problems
> because the ports AFS/Kerberos uses are hardly available with Firewall
> Policies.
>
> I assume that it is the same with you, and you are trying to setup the
> OpenAfs server which includes FileServer, PtServer, Volumeserver,
> Volumeserver, Salvager all on the local machine ? Because else you could
> just use one of the remote OpenAFS cells specified in the CellServDB file
> and skip over to client setup directly!
>
> Here's the workflow in very coarse grained from:
>

>    - First install the Kerberos Authentication System, it fetches you
>    TGT's required for accessing AFS's cells. Be particularly careful with
>    testing your Krb setup as it can lead to major glitches later.
>    - Build your openafs source( or use a prepackaged version ), install
>    the necessary binaries for server processes.
>    - Configure Kerberos with OpenAFS.
>    - Configure the Bos Server which handles the above mentioned servers.
>    - Once that is done, install client functionality.
>    - You should make decisions as to where the client-server reside. Simon
>    gave me an excellent advice to simulate the Server on the Physical Hardware
>    and Client on a Virtualized system.
>
> This is just the roadmap I followed, others should be able to give you much
> more affirmitive help, but hope it helps.
>
> Cheers
> Sanket
> http://www.sanketagarwal.com/blog/
>

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Mohammed Gamal <m.gamal005@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to build a test openafs environment for GSoC work. All I
>> need is to setup a local cell with some volumes, my main problem is in
>>
> the initial setup. I've cloned the source from the git repo and built
>> them and tried to follow through the guidelines in the quick start
>> guide, but I am a little bit lost as to what to do.
>>
>> Is there any standard scenario for setting up some simple test
>> environment, or is some public environment available for this purpose?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mohammed

--0016363b808c393a9f048483b49a

Agarwal <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sanket@sanketagarwal.com">s=
_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt=
 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi Mohammed Gamal,<br><br>I was in the same place few days back! As I had c=
onnectivity problems because the ports AFS/Kerberos uses are hardly availab=
le with Firewall Policies.<br><br>I assume that it is the same with you, an=
d you are trying to setup the OpenAfs server which includes FileServer, PtS=
erver, Volumeserver, Volumeserver, Salvager all on the local machine ? Beca=
use else you could just use one of the remote OpenAFS cells specified in th=
e CellServDB file and skip over to client setup directly!<br>

st install the Kerberos Authentication System, it fetches you TGT&#39;s req=
uired for accessing AFS&#39;s cells. Be particularly careful with testing y=
our Krb setup as it can lead to major glitches later.<br>

</li><li>Build your openafs source( or use a prepackaged version ), install=
e mentioned servers.<br>

hould make decisions as to where the client-server reside. Simon gave me an=
 excellent advice to simulate the Server on the Physical Hardware and Clien=
t on a Virtualized system.<br>

</li></ul>This is just the roadmap I followed, others should be able to giv=
t<br><a href=3D"http://www.sanketagarwal.com/blog/" target=3D"_blank">http:=
//www.sanketagarwal.com/blog/</a><div>
mal <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:m.gamal005@gmail.com" target=3D=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0=
pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

Hi,<br>
I am trying to build a test openafs environment for GSoC work. All I<br>
need is to setup a local cell with some volumes, my main problem is in<br><=
/blockquote><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px sol=
id rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
the initial setup. I&#39;ve cloned the source from the git repo and built<b=
r>
them and tried to follow through the guidelines in the quick start<br>
guide, but I am a little bit lost as to what to do.<br>
Is there any standard scenario for setting up some simple test<br>
environment, or is some public environment available for this purpose?<br>
Regards,<br>
Mohammed<br>