[OpenAFS-devel] Autoconf 2.60 requirement

Dave B botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Fri, 07 May 2010 09:51:38 -0400

I would be afraid of this breaking something someplace else (altho, with
these two tools, prolly not.

That said, we use RHEL4 here. For some software requiring newer autoconf
versions than what came with RHEL4, I was able to easily compile
autoconf (and the required m4) from source and install
into /usr/local/ .

For m4 1.4.14, I simply did:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/m4
make && make install

For autoconf 2.65, I then did:

export PATH=/usr/local/m4/bin:$PATH
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/autoconf
make && make install