[OpenAFS] Password expiration in UNIX

Norman P. B. Joseph joseph@ctc.com
Fri, 4 May 2001 16:58:36 -0400

I'm aware that on most UNIX platforms an integrated AFS login will set an
environment variable PASSWD_EXPIRES (AFS_PASSWD_EXPIRES on SGIs) to the number
of days remaining before an AFS password expires.  On windowing systems where
the user may log in on Monday and stay logged in for weeks or until the machine
reboots this environment variable becomes pretty useless, as it only seems to
get set upon login.

Has anyone found or invented a suitable mechanism for warning users about AFS
password expiration in such an environment?  Before I put my nose to the
grindstone I'd like to find out what existing work there may already be.

Thanks,
--
 Norman Joseph, UNIX Systems Engineer       joseph@ctc.com        IC|XC
 Concurrent Technologies Corporation         814/269.2633         --+--
                                                                  NI|KA
         ftp://ftp.ctc.com/pub/PGP-keys/joseph.asc

  ***  Do a good deed today.  Visit  http://www.thehungersite.com  ***