[OpenAFS] FW: TR-62286 Outlook PST files in AFS space

aeneous@speakeasy.org aeneous@speakeasy.org
Sat, 19 May 2001 17:17:02 -0400

> First, it's the 'k' bit on the acl ('l' means list, 'k' means lock).

yes, my bad.

> Second, you would need to change the AFS protocol to support byte
> locks, because you need to get the server to support them.

Why? The NFS server didn't need to be changed. The locking protocol
is just a bag on the side.

> Copying NFS is insufficient.  It would imply a protocol-incompatible
> change (or at least an incompatible protocol extension).  I suppose
> the best way to handle the protocol is that if you try to use the old
> protocol against a byte-locked file, you would be rejected.  OTOH, I
> don't know how you'd handle a "new" client (that supports byte-locks)
> against and "old" server (that does not).

Naturally, new functionality cannot be supported by old
clients or servers.  This is a problem?  Calling it incompatible
is hyperbole.