[OpenAFS] Which filesystems for vicep on linux

Blake Atkins Blake.Atkins@ScholarOne.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:34:16 -0400

Out of curiosity, why would you want to use AFS on top of GFS? All my
experiences with GFS have been negative, mostly because I can't seem to make
it fast.

The experience with filesystems under /vice I've had:

ext2: Works perfectly

XFS: My current filesystem of choice. Must use '-i size=512' when formatting
the filesystem. Works perfectly.

ext3: Would probably work if the kernel patch didn't break the AFS kernel
module. You could probably run an AFS server on ext3 as long as you didn't
need to use the client. If you try to use the client you may get an "/afs -
Not a directory" when you try to 'cd' to it.

Reiser: Works fine but the 'reiserfsck' destroys all the data on the
partition. I wouldn't recommend this for obvious reasons.

I haven't tried JFS although I was reading somewhere it wouldn't work.
Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that it is OS/2 JFS and not
AIX JFS.

Again, this is just the results I've gotten, yours may vary.

--Blake