[OpenAFS] Roaming Windows Profiles

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:01:08 -0500 (EST)

James,

My Dept's production environment uses K5, but relies on a Win2K server for
roaming profiles... that said, I have tested a similar setup to
what you describe (keeping the K5 single-signon but storing profiles in
AFS) and would like to put it into production, but haven't yet.

My observations follow.  Do they agree with your experiences?

	The profile needs system:anyuser l access (for windows to "see" the
		 profile exists prior to getting tokens)
	AD won't let you redirect folders with arbitrary variables
		(so, it's possible to redirect all users' profiles to
		/afs/cell/home/user/WinProfile, but cells that have
		/afs/cell/home/u/user/WinProfile must set each profile
		location for each user separately--or create another
		separate set of mount points).
	It's necessary to ensure that My Documents, etc does NOT roam, but
		is redirected into AFS... otherwise login/logout times
		increase substancially over the same setup without AFS.

	Certain files, like MS office docs, shouldn't be opened directly
		out of AFS due to assumptions about byte-range locking
		which AFS doesn't support... so access to non-roaming
		space is still required.

Others I'm forgetting?

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C