[OpenAFS] poor out of cache behavior on writing

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:13:53 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Paul Blackburn wrote:

> You probably will get better data transfer from ftp-client => ftp-server
> than a distributed filesystem.

This, at least, is a protocol. scp is a hack, which is why I'm reluctant
to use it.

> When it comes to "uploading" large datafiles from machine to machine,
> I now prefer using SSH's scp which shows me a progress bar and ETA.
>
> For most all other tasks, I like AFS which gives me other capabilities
> unheard of in NFS.

I wonder if we could find a sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hgrad student to figure out
("guess") when to bypass the cache and when to use it, and incorporate it
(at least as an option) in the clients.

I know CITI has done cache-bypass stuff, but it used the volume name (I
think) as a hint.