Re[2]: [OpenAFS] Linux kernel panic, OpenAFS, gconf

Ron Croonenberg ronc@depauw.edu
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:06:25 CT

That is exactly what I am looking at.

I tried to build an AFS server on a single processor machine (running RHEL3) and
that seems to work. When I try to do the same thing on a dual processor
machine(Dell poweredge 2600 with 2 Xeon cpu's running RHEL 3) AFS crashes, locks
the box up, get kernel panics and get all kinds of free() error msgs.

This happens with both the binary rpms that I downloaded and the src rpms after
building them.

thanks,

Ron

>And one more data point for my gconf/kernel crash problem: it only seems
>to happen on SMP systems. I can't reproduce it on single-processor
>systems, even if I run more than one job. If I run only one job at a time
>on an SMP system, no crash either. If I run more than one job in parallel
>on the SMP system, kernel panic (can't run fstrace either, as that causes
>*instant* kernel panic when running the job, or the moment the job starts
>up.)
>
>--
>// Miles Davis - miles@cs.stanford.edu - http://www.cs.stanford.edu/~miles
>// Computer Science Department - Computer Facilities
>// Stanford University

 Indiana State Law :
          Mustaches are illegal if the bearer has a tendency to
          habitually kiss other humans.
 Ron Croonenberg               | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
 Technology Coordinator        | Fax:   1 765 658 4732

 Department of ComputerScience | e-mail : ronc@DePauw.edu
 DePauw University             |
 Julian Science & Math Center  |
 602 South College Ave.        |