[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.3.63 on Windows XP

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@columbia.edu
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:33:32 -0400

--------------000808030701090208050007

Chris Crowther wrote:

> Hullo all,
>
>     Anyone else had any problems with OpenAFS 1.3.63 on Windows XP?
> It *was* working but now absolutely refuses to work - I can only try
> to map drives from the AFS Client dialog and not the AFS Configuration
> dialog (it doesn't populate the drive letter drop downs).  I say try
> because even though it creates the mapping it throws up a not
> accesible error, coupled with not being able to find message text for
> message number 0x (which seems a slightly odd message number to me)
> when I try to enter my cell's directory (which is, incidently, the
> only cell that shows up in the root; even though previously all the
> cells from CellServDB were showing up).

The Global Mapping page is known to be broken in the AFS Client
Configuration tool.
This is fixed in the daily builds.

    //afs/athena.mit.edu/user/j/a/jaltman/Public/OpenAFS/

>     Other times as soon as you go into the AFS root mapping the cell
> shows up, disapears, then afsd_service dies horribly.  I've also seen
> an error 0xffffff come up too.

What is the contents of the %WINDIR%\TEMP\afsd.log file?  It should
contain a PANIC and the source code location it occurred at as well as a
reason.

>     I can't think of anything specificly that I've done to break AFS
> so wonderfuly.  I suspect I may have done it while I was beating
> integrated kerberos logins into submission.  I've tried removing
> OpenAFS completely: configuration et al. (even to the point of manualy
> removing the last vestiges of OpenAFS from the registry) then
> re-installing - still remains resolutely broken.
>
>     Any ideas?

So you changed the name of the machine?  And now you have drive maps
programmed into the Explorer which are going to the old machine name
instead of the new one.  That is my best guess.

Jeffrey Altman

--------------000808030701090208050007

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
 face="Bitstream Cyberbit">Hullo all,
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Anyone else had any problems with OpenAFS 1.3.63 on Windows XP?&nbsp; It
*was* working but now absolutely refuses to work - I can only try to
map drives from the AFS Client dialog and not the AFS Configuration
dialog (it doesn't populate the drive letter drop downs).&nbsp; I say try
because even though it creates the mapping it throws up a not accesible
error, coupled with not being able to find message text for message
number 0x (which seems a slightly odd message number to me) when I try
to enter my cell's directory (which is, incidently, the only cell that
shows up in the root; even though previously all the cells from
CellServDB were showing up).
The Global Mapping page is known to be broken in the AFS Client
Configuration tool.&nbsp; <br>
This is fixed in the daily builds.&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; //afs/athena.mit.edu/user/j/a/jaltman/Public/OpenAFS/<br>
 face="Bitstream Cyberbit"><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Other times as soon as you go into the AFS root mapping the cell
shows up, disapears, then afsd_service dies horribly.&nbsp; I've also seen
an error 0xffffff come up too.
What is the contents of the %WINDIR%\TEMP\afsd.log file?&nbsp; It should
contain a PANIC and the source code location it occurred at as well as
a reason.<br>
 face="Bitstream Cyberbit">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I can't think of anything specificly
that I've done to break AFS so wonderfuly.&nbsp; I suspect I may have done
it while I was beating integrated kerberos logins into submission.&nbsp;
I've tried removing OpenAFS completely: configuration et al. (even to
the point of manualy removing the last vestiges of OpenAFS from the
registry) then re-installing - still remains resolutely broken.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Any ideas?
So you changed the name of the machine?&nbsp; And now you have drive maps
programmed into the Explorer which are going to the old machine name
instead of the new one.&nbsp; That is my best guess.<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>

--------------000808030701090208050007--