[OpenAFS] replacing NFS + NIS + SAMBA with AFS

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:00:46 -0500

This would work fine except for the fact that ALL accesses to
those sets of home directories in AFS would have to happen through
AFS.

So, yes, you could convert one site at a time, moving the
homedirs of those users to a "local" AFS file server and changing
the automounter to point to /afs/... for those users.

However users that move locations might have problems unless you
actually install the AFS client software on all the machines first.
So, I would recommend you do that.  Deploy the client software before
you move accounts.  Then at least you know everyone can access AFS.
Then you can slowly move people from NFS/SAMBA over to AFS and change
the automount mappings piecemeal.

-derek