[OpenAFS] Determining file ownership under Windows...

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:52:17 -0600

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 2:38p <warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> Rodney M Dyer <rmdyer@uncc.edu> writes:
>
>> At 01:22 PM 2/10/2004, Jim Rees wrote:
>>> Why do you want to know file ownership?  It isn't used for
>>> anything, is it?
>>
>> In general, you want to know who owns files when you are performing
>> security audits.  If a file is owned by someone who should not have
>> access then something is wrong.  Or, if a person wasn't logged on at
>> the time the file was created, but it was created by that persons id.
>
> Perhaps your security audit should be run on a different machine?

I do almost all of my admin work from a Windows machine and I hate
having to logon to a UN*X machine to simply check ownership of a file.
I often perform file maintenance with my admin credentials and then need
to chown the files to whomever owns the directory, as certain UN*X apps
do indeed check ownership on files.

How hard would it be to implement a fs chown and fs owner or similar
commands to set and get the file ownership under windows?  Or even a
separate binary to perform this?  I know a symlink.exe command was
created to add the ability to create synlinks from Windows.  Why should
this be any different?

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin