[OpenAFS] New "feature" of fs setacl....removal of obsolete entries?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:30:19 -0800

Renata Maria Dart <renata@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> Hi, we recently (since we upgraded our db servers to 1.2.11 ?) started
> noticing a change in the 'fs setacl' command.  If an acl contains a user
> entry which no longer exists in the pts database, for example the entry
> for number 4079 in the following output:

> renata@victoria $ 11:25 fs listacl .
> Access list for . is
> Normal rights:
>   system:administrators rlidwka
>   harold rli
>   4079 rlidwka

> an fs setacl command applied to that directory now removes the obsolete
> entry, even though the fs setacl command does not specifically make that
> change.

That's been AFS behavior for as long as I remember... years, at least.
ACL entries without a corresponding PTS entry in the database get quietly
garbage-collected when the server "notices" them, as if you'd run fs
cleanacl.

Maybe it's just gotten more aggressive about "noticing" them?  I'm not
sure I ever paid a lot of attention to exactly when this happened.