[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:25:48 -0500

Andreas <andreas@netbank.com.br> writes:

> I second that. I was just waiting for openafs to have a clean krb5 support
> and was caught by surprise by the lack of support in the 2.6 kernel.
> Any idea how long it would take? A year perhaps?

Is someone willing to fund the work?  The hardest problem is that the
2.6 kernel removed all the hooks that AFS used to link into the
kernel's system-call table.  This was used to:

1) Install the afs_syscall function pointer, and
2) Take over the setgroups() system call to handle PAGs

Without these two hooks AFS needs to:

a) rewrite all the pioctl calls to use a different method, and
b) figure out a new way to handle PAGs.

So this will be a lot of work unless someone can figure out how to
hook into the sys_call_table again.

-derek