[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:09:48 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Andreas <andreas@netbank.com.br> writes:
>
> > I second that. I was just waiting for openafs to have a clean krb5 support
> > and was caught by surprise by the lack of support in the 2.6 kernel.
> > Any idea how long it would take? A year perhaps?
>
> Is someone willing to fund the work?  The hardest problem is that the
> 2.6 kernel removed all the hooks that AFS used to link into the
> kernel's system-call table.  This was used to:
>
> 1) Install the afs_syscall function pointer, and
> 2) Take over the setgroups() system call to handle PAGs
>
> Without these two hooks AFS needs to:
>
> a) rewrite all the pioctl calls to use a different method, and
> b) figure out a new way to handle PAGs.
>
> So this will be a lot of work unless someone can figure out how to
> hook into the sys_call_table again.

The Linux 2.4 ppc64 port which was recently contributed requires a kernel
patch to allow sys_call_table to be hooked, so certainly that's available
for an expedient in the meantime.

At minimum, a group of students in CMU's CS department is working on a
port, with a deadline of early May, since they're doing it for course
credit. I'm aware of at least one other effort but I can't remember if it
was spoken in public, so I'm not going to reveal it now.