[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Horst Birthelmer BIRTHELM@de.ibm.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:53:31 +0100

>Is it complicated to rewrite those 2 hooks just for AFS
>(a little kernel-patch) or is there an OpenAFS-policy demanding
>not to change the kernel-sources at all?

It's neither complicated nor is there any 'codec' (at least I'm not
knowing of).
BUT how many people you know they would install some 'dubious' kernel
patch
(that was the way the ppc64 patch was called by some people)
just to run AFS??

Horst Birthelmer

IBM Mainz, AIS Software Development

IBM Open Enterprise File Store
'Stonehenge' Developer
http://www.ibm.com/services/de/its/filestore.html

Phone (+49)-6131-84-3965
E-Mail : birthelm@de.ibm.com

Frank Burkhardt <fbo2@gmx.net>
Sent by: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
02/17/04 05:19 PM

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:25:48AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
[snip]
> Without these two hooks AFS needs to:
>
> a) rewrite all the pioctl calls to use a different method, and
> b) figure out a new way to handle PAGs.
>
> So this will be a lot of work unless someone can figure out how to
> hook into the sys_call_table again.

Is it complicated to rewrite those 2 hooks just for AFS
(a little kernel-patch) or is there an OpenAFS-policy demanding
not to change the kernel-sources at all?

Frank