[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:07:29 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:53:31AM +0100, Horst Birthelmer wrote:
> >Is it complicated to rewrite those 2 hooks just for AFS
> >(a little kernel-patch) or is there an OpenAFS-policy demanding
> >not to change the kernel-sources at all?
>
> It's neither complicated nor is there any 'codec' (at least I'm not
> knowing of).
> BUT how many people you know they would install some 'dubious' kernel
> patch
As long as I can get a gpg-signed hash of the patch there should be no
problem.

My actual kernel contains 3 patches:
 xfs     - This one is essential. OK, it will be no longer necessary, when
           2.4.25 is released.
 prism54 - A wlan-card-driver
 dc395   - A driver for some exotic SCSI-cards

> (that was the way the ppc64 patch was called by some people)
> just to run AFS??
Another patch - especially from a trusted source like openafs.org :-) - wouldn't
be a problem for me.

Of course, whoever relies on a "certified" Redhat-Kernel wouldn't like such a patch
but maybe it's possible to convince Redhat to include it into their official
kernel...

Frank