[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:55:19 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Horst Birthelmer wrote:

> >Is it complicated to rewrite those 2 hooks just for AFS
> >(a little kernel-patch) or is there an OpenAFS-policy demanding
> >not to change the kernel-sources at all?
>
> It's neither complicated nor is there any 'codec' (at least I'm not
> knowing of).
> BUT how many people you know they would install some 'dubious' kernel
> patch
> (that was the way the ppc64 patch was called by some people)
> just to run AFS??

I'm probably one of those people. Don't get me wrong: the patch is a clean
implementation of what it does; my concern was basically one already
addressed here: "What of people who don't build their own kernel, and
don't want to?"