[OpenAFS] OpenAFS & Linux kernel 2.6: please have a trackable bug report / task ?

John C. Welch jwelch@bynkii.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:36:13 -0600

On 2/19/04 10:19 AM, "Timothee Besset" <ttimo@idsoftware.com> wrote:

> I don't think arguments about production servers are relevant really. We
> are talking about AFS in 2.6 kernels, which doesn't exist in any form
> currently, so talking about "production" is way too early.

I realize that. But, it's better to get out of the "just rebuild the kernel"
mentality earlier than later.

> When/if 2.6 support happens, it will have to go through a developement
> path, it will have to be a testing/experimental thing for some time. For
> everyone concerned about production use, I would say "the earlier the
> better" instead of "if it's not production, it's not good". Cause things
> don't reach production grade magically. Someone has to live on the edge
> and run it on test servers first.

Always. But allowing a kernel rebuild to be a requirement complicates this
uneccessarily.

john

--
John C. Welch         Writer/Analyst
Bynkii.com              Mac and other opinions