[OpenAFS] Linux kernel 2.6 & AFS

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:29:03 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> I'm sure everyone's thought of this, but does anyone have code I can
> look at that supports authentication for N different filesystems (where
> N > 2)?

No. Arla, Coda and OpenAFS all use the same interfaces at least, already,
so it's just a question of what nfsv4 is doing, or does.

> For example, what's the interface that I can use in, say, courier-imap
> to ask the kernel if authenticated and able to access a particular file,
> or the interface to get authenticated.
>
> I know what the interface is now, for openafs. But I stand a much better
> chance of getting changes to courier or openssh accepted if it's a generic
> inteface that works with a "common" 2.6 linux kernel filesystem auth
> structure.

That's not solved yet, and talking among ourselves won't solve it today.
And not all platforms are Linux, anyway. Just because *you* need only deal
with Linux doesn't mean that's the way it is for even most people. A
unified answer on one platform would be good, but you're putting the cart
ahead of the horse.