[OpenAFS] Re: /usr/sbin/afsd --impatient

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:39:46 -0800

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> writes:
> Are the servers not responding at all?   If so, "fs checkservers"
> should list them as being "down".

They're definately up, but I'm not around when these problems happen,
so I can't debug them.  And it's not my place to tell faculty that
they must do some debugging dance when things go weird.

> Putting a cap on file operations of 5 seconds really is not the
> right solution.

Perhaps not, but the only other solution is losing some very
influential users within the next 24-48 hours, and having the
newly-introduced acronym "AFS" leave a very bad taste in their
mouth.

I guess I should retrench in preparation for that.

> If there are things you would like Apple to do in order to make AFS
> work better on their operating system, find your campus Apple sales
> representative and tell them.  It is the only way that things will
> get better.

>From the perspective of the People Making The Decisions, this is a
problem with AFS, not a problem with Mac OS X.  You know that's wrong,
I know that's wrong, but we cannot change it.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380