[OpenAFS] issue with Fedora 8 and retaining tokens after graphical login

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:29:23 +0000

On 24 Nov 2007, at 16:27, William Murray wrote:

>          'afs has just worked?' with previous fedora?

It certainly "Just works" for us at Edinburgh. We roll our own
kernels for Fedora, though.

> Well...I'd say
> Fedora has been on latest kernels and AFS is struggling to keep up.

There's a couple of problems. Some new upstream kernel releases
contain changes which break OpenAFS - these changes are some times
backported into "earlier" Fedora releases, so a lack of change in
kernel version doesn't always indicate a lack of API changes. When
this happens, new deltas tend to make into into OpenAFS CVS pretty
rapidly. Support for these as RPMs (for both the official OpenAFS
RPMS, and the atrpms ones), then requires either a new OpenAFS
release, or someone pulling out the delta, adding it to the RPM, and
testing it. This all takes time, and so can cause these changes to
lag behind the availability of new kernel RPMs.

The second problem is simpler RPM rebuilds - at the moment there are
a number of manual steps in this process - whilst the availability of
new Fedora kernels is now automatically detected, doing the rebuild
requires someone (often me) to load up the appropriate VM, kick of
the builds, upload the RPMs to the appropriate location, and ask
someone else to push them out to the download site. This all depends
on time and availability, which is often in scarce supply. There are
plans afoot to improve this so that the build process will be
entirely automated.

>    However, using openafs-client from atrpms it seems to be pretty
> good
> with f8. At least at work..

The drawback to the atrpms rpms is that they're using the FHS style
paths.

>   unfortunately, at home, via a tunnel and NAT etc, it doesn't seem
> happy...

I'm running OpenAFS 1.4.5 on Fedora 8 from home, behind a NAT, and
all seems fine. What problems are you seeing?

Simon.