[OpenAFS] Re: issue with Fedora 8 and retaining tokens after graphical login

Axel Thimm openafs-info <openafs-info@openafs.org>
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:41:32 +0200

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 07:29:23PM +0000, Simon Wilkinson wrote:
> There's a couple of problems. Some new upstream kernel releases
> contain changes which break OpenAFS - these changes are some times
> backported into "earlier" Fedora releases, so a lack of change in
> kernel version doesn't always indicate a lack of API changes. When
> this happens, new deltas tend to make into into OpenAFS CVS pretty
> rapidly. Support for these as RPMs (for both the official OpenAFS
> RPMS, and the atrpms ones), then requires either a new OpenAFS
> release, or someone pulling out the delta, adding it to the RPM, and
> testing it. This all takes time, and so can cause these changes to
> lag behind the availability of new kernel RPMs.

Sounds like a good angle to find some common momentum and share some
work :)

> > However, using openafs-client from atrpms it seems to be pretty
> > good with f8. At least at work..
>=20
> The drawback to the atrpms rpms is that they're using the FHS style =20
> paths.

Why is that a drawback (the question is sincere). While perhaps long
time users will need to rethink the paths they have to do so anyway on
a Linux system compared to AIX, Solaris etc. And any openafs
acceptance into any Linux distribution has better cards to be FHS than
not. If openafs every makes it into RHEL/Fedora proper it will have to
be FHS style.

But let's make everybody happy: How about an rpmbuild time switch to
allow anyone to rebuild with their favourite path style. I would still
want to see FHS being the default, but transarc style is just a
one-line change in the rpmbuild specfile.

Just looking for synergy and a common openafs rpm design. Which could
very well be more than Fedora/RHEL (but I admit not being a SuSE or
Mandriva expert, so someone would have to step in to aid in this
part). :)
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe