[OpenAFS] Recovering data from volumes after loss of cell

Armin Burchardt armin@its-hb.de
Sun, 17 Aug 2008 20:47:42 +0200

Hi Richard!

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 02:19:46PM -0400, Richard Eggert wrote:
> cryptically-named directories and files. How do I extract the  "real" files
> from the raw volumes?  I'd rather not have to rebuild my cell in order to
> accomplish this (especially since I'm not sure of how to do that).

You can use "voldump" to create a dump of a volume from the /vicepa
partition without a volserver. This dump can be restored to another
volserver and you can extract your files with the fileserver from
that machine.
I think there is no way to get your original files without a
fileserver (and cell). If you run bosserver with -noauth you
should be able to skip the Kerberos setup.

Armin

PS: @listadmin: a reply-to header would be nice