[OpenAFS] Recovering data from volumes after loss of cell

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:15:46 -0400

Armin Burchardt wrote:
> Hi Richard!
>
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 02:19:46PM -0400, Richard Eggert wrote:
>
>> cryptically-named directories and files. How do I extract the  "real" files
>> from the raw volumes?  I'd rather not have to rebuild my cell in order to
>> accomplish this (especially since I'm not sure of how to do that).
>>

> You can use "voldump" to create a dump of a volume from the /vicepa
> partition without a volserver. This dump can be restored to another
> volserver and you can extract your files with the fileserver from
> that machine.
> I think there is no way to get your original files without a
> fileserver (and cell). If you run bosserver with -noauth you
> should be able to skip the Kerberos setup.

The restorevol command can restore a volume dump to non-afs space.
voldump + restorevol might be what you need, but setting up a temporary
DBserver/fileserver might be easier. If you have dumps on tape, you can
use the read_tape command to read those without an AFS server.

This is 10 years old, but might help:
IBM AFS Disaster Recovery:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=961&context=SSXMUG&dc=DA400&uid=swg27004312&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct961other

Jason