[OpenAFS] Some questions about AFS

Steve Devine sd@msu.edu
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:59:01 -0500

Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Jeffrey Altman skrev:
>>
>>> I tested by
>>>  adding 64k mountpoints (volumes) in one directory, and accessing
>>> directories below did
>>>  not become noticeably slower.  The only peculiarity I noted was
>>> that Windows explorer
>>>  only showed the first 1000 entries, but I don't know if it is a bug
>>> in explorer or the AFS client.
>>
>> The Explorer Shell will try to evaluate the contents of each mount
>> point before displaying the entry.  It may be that you simply didn't
>> give it enough time to do so.  I have test directories with more than
>> 10,000 items that are displayed in full and \\afs\andrew.cmu.edu\usr\
>> is a particularly harsh test case as it is a directory full of
>> symlinks to mountpoints to volumes
> Ok, thanks.  It may have been me that were too impatient :-)
>

>>> - A few problems with the windows manager tools were also noted, it
>>> may be just me that
>>>  haven't really understand how it all works :-)
>>>    In the server manager; running salvager failed with the error
>>> messages:
>>>       The AFS server manager was unable to perform the requested
>>> salvage operation.
>>>       Error: unable to successfully read log file (0x0000422A)
>>
>> You aren't running the AFS Servers on Windows.
> Ok, is that a requirement to make it working?
>
>> In any case, the Server Manager tool is not particularly well
>> supported and in my opinion not very well designed.  Do not make your
>> evaluation of OpenAFS based upon the existence of this tool unless
>> you are will to sink development resources or money into its
>> replacement.
> The evaluation has been mainly based on stability and performance, and
> that has from our
> perspective been no problem :-)
>>>  Also, moving volumes do not work, but I get no error message.
>>> ``nothing happens''.
>>>
>>>  The AFS account manager do not start for me at all, it just hangs
>>> with "Querying; please wait...".
>>
>> The AFS Account Manager is "kaserver" and the tool is designed for
>> managing the server running on Windows.  You are using Heimdal as
>> your KDC and you are not running the servers on Windows.
>>
> Hm, ok.
> Is kaserver used if the servers are running on Windows?   And would it
> be difficult to fix
> the account manager to work against any server?
kaserver is not suggested. Kerberos 5 is suggested. Or am I
misunderstanding the question? Seem in an earlier thread you said you
were using Heimdal k5.

> The reason I'm asking is that we may want to make use of the ability
> for people to create
> and maintain their own groups, and that would require something more
> user-friendly than
> the command-line stuff :-)
There are many ways to do this. We offer a homegrown webbased tool for
acl and group management. Most likely someone on this list already has
something they can  offer you. ( Russ ?) . If not I can see what it
would take to send you something.
/sd