[OpenAFS] Some questions about AFS

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:51:20 +0100 (CET)

>> There are a lot of stupid gui thingies out there that want to stat
>> every dir they see. And color-ls and such things. Shrug.

> But it still were not a problem when we tried it.  If people likes to do ls in /home, well,
> I consider that their problem, as long as references of files below don't take any longer
> time.

Some of these file browser tingies do something like

for dir in `walk path from $PWD and up` ; do
    stat dir/*
done

"stat dir/*" and not "stat dir". So the $USER does not have much
choice. You have been warned ;)

> But I assume that the namei cache solves that problem.

I don't see how the namei cache would help you here.

> The reason I'm asking is that we may want to make use of the ability for people to create
> and maintain their own groups, and that would require something more user-friendly than
> the command-line stuff :-)

I wonder what the status of Kvibille (AFS ACL extension for Gnome's
file manager Nautilus) is.
/afs/nada.kth.se/public/ftp/pub/hacks/kvibille/kvibille-0.2.tar.bz2

Harald.