[OpenAFS] Weird conflict between openafs kernel module and nvidia driver on Ubuntu

Karl M. Davis Karl.Davis@ridgetopgroup.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:17:58 -0700

Okay, after a quick google-ing I think I understand the differenc=
es between kmalloc() and vmalloc().  I'm guessing, though, that t=
his cache is different than the one I set to 500MB while installi=
ng the openafs client.

I'm just running bog-standard fairly-modern desktops and laptops=20=
here... what cache settings will likely yield the best performanc=
e?

Thanks,
Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@o=
penafs.org] On Behalf Of Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR)
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 7:21 AM
To: Karl M. Davis
Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Weird conflict between openafs kernel modu=
le and nvidia driver on Ubuntu

In message <17AEED90-470F-4715-802F-F8E246B41CA4@ridgetopgroup.co=
m>,"Karl M. Davis" writes:
> As part of my standard setup, I've been editing /etc/openafs/af=
s.conf:
> <<
> #OPTIONS=3DAUTOMATIC
> OPTIONS=3D"-chunksize 20 -memcache -blocks 65536"

setting chunksize to 20 (1MB) and using memcache will cause the a=
llocator
to use vmalloc() instead of kmalloc().  vm space is a bit limited=
 on
some systems.  using the memcache i wouldnt consider a chunksize=20=
over 15.
since your cache is generally smaller with memcache bigger chunks=
izes
tends to force the number of files you can hold to a smaller numb=
er.