[OpenAFS] max size of vice partition

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:19:07 +0200 (CEST)

> I was wondering what the maximum size for a vice partition is?  I
> remember reading somewhere that 2TB was the largest, but don't quite
> recall where I read that.

Yes, without patches 2TB is max for 1.4.7.

> Currently, I am running oafs 1.4.7 on Solaris 10 and I have two vice
> partitions that are 1.5TB in size.

What file system type on Solaris? I suspect ufs.

> When the system boots, I get
> messages from fsck about BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG on the two
> partitions that are 1.5TB.  The other vice partitions which are all
> under 1TB in size, do not exhibit this behavior.

That could be a Solaris specific behaviour. I would test with
zfs+namei or if that not works with ufs+namei and hope the problem
goes away.

> I suspect the problem is with the AFS supplied version of fsck having problems
> with partitions larger than 1TB?

Probably. Convert your world to namei and get rid of the special fsck.
Namei type partitions can run the OS supplied file system utilities.

Harald.