[OpenAFS] max size of vice partition

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:49:10 -0400

In 1.4.7 it was 2tb. In 1.4.8 it will be another 32 powers of 2
larger, a number I am too lazy to calculate.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Andy Malato <andym@oak.njit.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering what the maximum size for a vice partition is?  I
> remember reading somewhere that 2TB was the largest, but don't quite
> recall where I read that.
>
> Currently, I am running oafs 1.4.7 on Solaris 10 and I have two vice
> partitions that are 1.5TB in size.  When the system boots, I get
> messages from fsck about BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG on the two
> partitions that are 1.5TB.  The other vice partitions which are all
> under 1TB in size, do not exhibit this behavior.
>
> Even though an error is produced by fsck, the partitions are mounted and
> the volumes on them are attached.  Running newfs against the partition does
> not fix the problem.
>
> I suspect the problem is with the AFS supplied version of fsck having problems
> with partitions larger than 1TB?

Possibly. Note that in Solaris 10 if you update too far you will
eventually take a UFS change which breaks the OpenAFS inode
fileserver, and by default Solaris 10 builds starting in 1.4.8 will
give you a namei fileserver for that reason. For performance reasons
you probably want ZFS-backed namei partitions, especially if you are
setting up large partitions.