[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Newsletter, Issue 1, May 2009

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 13 May 2009 22:01:37 -0400

--------------050709060409050808020104

[The HTML version of this text is attached]

OpenAFS Newsletter, Issue 1, May 2009
    This is the first issue of what will hopefully be a monthly summary of
    the activity that's happening in the OpenAFS community.

    As always, volunteers, patches, bug reports, or any other type of help
    is greatly appreciated.

    Feedback on this newsletter is welcome. The goal is to summarize the
    various development efforts and news of OpenAFS for the community.
    Please let Jason know what you would like to see out of this newsletter.

  Upcoming Events
    The Sixth Annual International AFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop
    will be held at Stanford University on June 1-5, 2009.

    Ref: http://workshop.openafs.org/afsbpw09/index.html

  Projects
   Disconnected AFS support
    Project Contacts:

    *   Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk>

    *   Dragos Tatulea <dragos.tatulea@gmail.com>

    Support for disconnection operation on Unix has been integrated into the
    1.5.x branch. There are no currently known data loss bugs, and further
    testing would be greatly appreciated. Currently, files written whilst
    disconnected do not persist across restarts, and there is no user
    interface to specify which files should be pinned in the cache to ensure
    they're available whilst disconnected. Simon Wilkinson and Dragos
    Tatulea (respectively) are working to resolve these.

   Security Releases
    Security Officer:

    *   Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk>

    OpenAFS 1.4.9, 1.4.10 and 1.5.59 were a security release to resolve two
    independent issues in the OpenAFS cache manager for Unix, one of which
    is a potential remote root exploit. All Unix platforms, excluding Mac OS
    X 10.4 and 10.5 are affected, and upgrading is strongly recommended.

   Fedora 11 and Linux 2.6.29 support
    Project Contact:

    *   Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk>

    OpenAFS 1.4.10 does not build on Fedora 11, and crashes in some
    situations when running on a 2.6.29 kernel. Fixes will be available
    shortly.

   Newsletter
    Project Contact:

    *   Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>

    Derrick Brashear, Jason Edgecombe, Jeff Altman, and Simon Wilkinson
    discussed the issue of keeping the community better informed by the web
    and a monthly email newsletter. Jason volunteered to write the
    newsletter. This document is the result.

    Ref:
    http://jabber.openafs.org/openafs@conference.openafs.org/2009-05-04.txt

   Google Summer of Code 2009
    OpenAFS received 4 slots for the 2009 Google Summer of Code.

    Go to http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/openafs for