[OpenAFS] Re: 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:59:12 -0500

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:36:13 +0100
Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> The difficulty here is - what should packagers build? If DAFS isn't on
> by default, then most folk won't actually get the benefit of running
> it unless they build their own AFS servers. I suspect that shipping
> 1.6 with dafs disabled by default isn't actually going to result in
> much perceived change over 1.4.
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to ship both versions of the fileserver
> side by side ...

I thought that I was going to see openafs-fileserver and
openafs-fileserver-dafs packages (or openafs-dafs, etc), but I'm
obviously not the one making them...

I thought the last time I was in a conversation about this, the big
problem was what to do about the BosConfig conversion that must happen
to support DAFS (or roll back). Does that have any good solution?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net