[OpenAFS] Re: additional OpenAFS 1.6.9 binaries available

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Sun, 6 Jul 2014 14:43:57 -0400 (EDT)

[Sorry for delayed response; I was travelling.]

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014, Andrew Deason wrote:

> The *BSDs have their ports, and we are using that for FreeBSD. I'm
> honestly not sure why we are not relying on that for binaries.

We can get somewhat faster availability of binaries by providing our own,
but upstream FreeBSD is doing much better at package building than they
were even a few years ago.  Their package repo is also now
cryptographically signed, which is a big advantage compared to the
packages that we (OpenAFS) currently distribute for FreeBSD.

I don't think that there's any particularly compelling reason for us to
continue to distribute our own FreeBSD packages, but am happy to continue
building them as long as they can be useful (which includes the "faster
availability" bit).

-Ben