[OpenAFS] Re: Cannot create directory with Nautilus

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 08:53:37 -0700

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:53:48 +0200 (CEST)
Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:

> > At work, I can create a directory in my $HOME with Nautilus (Debian
> > Wheezy). My problem is with my personal computer (Ubuntu 12.04). I
> > can't create a directory in my $HOME on the same OpenAFS server. Menus
> > are disabled. I must create directory with mkdir. And you, how do you
> > do ?
>
> I think Nautilus is to blame who thinks it can not do it because of
> UID and Unix permissions and therefore does not even try.
>
> What is your UID at work? (guess: not 1000)
> What is your UID on your home computer? (guess: 1000)
>
> I would change the UID on the home computer to match the UID on the
> work computer to work around the problem.

Or you could 'chmod $HOME o+rwx', if it's just looking at unix
permissions. That might break some other software, though, that thinks
the permissions are too broad. I'd suggest at least trying one of these,
at least temporarily, to see if that's what nautilus is indeed checking.

A brief look into the code makes it look like nautilus 3.4.1 is getting
the writeability from glib, and glib 2.32.1 is indeed properly using
access(), so it may be something else. But gnome is complex, so maybe I
got that wrong.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net