[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS 1.4.7pre1 Oops

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sun, 6 Apr 2008 00:59:32 +0100

On 5 Apr 2008, at 23:54, Marc Dionne wrote:

>> A quick grep suggests that this is used primarily by osi_probe.c,
>> both as a symbol to use to try and find the syscall table, and to
>> define probe limits. Could we turn it into a weak reference, and
>> just disable syscall probing where it doesn't exist? (I'd be
>> highly surprised if distribution kernels which don't have init_mm
>> have a writable syscall table).
>> S.
>
> That's pretty much the logic for the original patch I submitted for
> 2.6.25, where I ifdef'ed out the probing code based on init_mm not
> being exported.

As far as I can tell, the configure test for INIT_MM is bogus on 2.6,
which has an empty modversions.h. When I asked about detecting the
'exported' state of a kernel symbol, I was told the only way to do so
was via a weak reference at runtime.

Simon.