rx/simple.example broken (Re: [OpenAFS-devel] IPv6 Status)

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sat, 3 Mar 2012 16:28:11 -0600

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 01:06:03PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:
>
> > If I can do a brute-force search/replace of sockaddr_in with
> > sockaddr_in6 and make rx/simple.example work, we have some code to start
> > discussing other changes.
>
> AFS is not the sort of network protocol that you can convert to IPv6 by
> just doing some global search and replace in the code base.  There are
> significant protocol and on-disk file format issues.  For just one
> example, the Ubik database that stores the VLDB information can't store
> IPv6 addresses for file servers.
>
> Just whacking the internal code structures without thinking about the
> protocol impact is not going to provide any useful information.

>From my point of view, whacking Rx until I can run rx/simple.example
over an IPv6 only connection gets me some idea of what the protocol
issues might be, and we'll have some actual code to talk about,
instead of gnashing of teeth about 'protocol issues' and lack of
resources.

Back to my earlier point.. why is src/rx/simple.example broken? If it's
dead code that nobody builds, why is it still in the tree, and if it's
not, how did it get past the gerrit autobuilder?