[OpenAFS-devel] 1.6.1pre3?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Sun, 04 Mar 2012 08:43:16 -0500

--------------enigEC03D0E3270FAD7D01CDD237

  <head>
pe">
    <title></title>
  </head>
    On 3/4/2012 3:08 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
      cite=3D"mid:20307.8944.31010.830563@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu"
      type=3D"cite">
      <pre wrap=3D"">&lt;&lt;On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 02:43:01 -0500, Jeffrey =
Altman <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href=3D"mailto:jaltman@your-fil=
e-system.com">&lt;jaltman@your-file-system.com&gt;</a> said:

</pre>
        <pre wrap=3D"">The other list you can subscribe to is <a class=3D=
"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:openafs-cvs@openafs.org">openaf=
s-cvs@openafs.org</a> which
sends notifications for each patchset that has been approved via Gerrit
upon its submission to the openafs git repository.
</pre>
      <pre wrap=3D"">
Which has nothing to do with the planning for the release process,
</pre>
      cite=3D"mid:20307.8944.31010.830563@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu"
      type=3D"cite">
      <pre wrap=3D"">which seems to be undertaken by some unknown group o=
f people without
any communication to the wider community.[1] By contrast, most other
open-source projects have a public release schedule or set of release
milestones, and these things are announced on an obvious mailing-list
(like one whose name suggests that it is targeted towards developers)
on a regular basis.

-GAWollman

[1] I hope it is not the case that these people together represent
most of what's left of the AFS community outside of IBM labs.
</pre>
    For starters, there is no longer an IBM AFS Product group.=C2=A0 All =
that
    remains of AFS development is OpenAFS.<br>
    While it is true that the openafs-cvs list has nothing to do with
    the release process, gerrit.openafs.org does, and I pointed you at
    that first.=C2=A0 All patchsets which are being considered for inclus=
ion
    in a release are processed through gerrit.openafs.org.=C2=A0 Not only=

    when they are initially reviewed and processed for the master branch
    but when they are being pulled (or cherry picked) to a release
    branch as well.=C2=A0=C2=A0 Requests for pull ups are performed by su=
bmitting
    a cherry picked patchset to the desired branch.=C2=A0 Objections to p=
ull
    ups being applied are voiced by voting -1 on the patch set.<br>
    OpenAFS, unlike many other open source projects, say Linux, Apache,
    Samba, Mozilla, etc., does not have any central resources.=C2=A0 The
    OpenAFS community does not fund development.=C2=A0 Nor does it fund t=
he
    cost of gatekeeping, release management, or testing.=C2=A0 The
    gatekeepers have said repeatedly over the years that we want to move
    to a more regular release cycle.=C2=A0 Unfortunately, wrenches are
    constantly being thrown in the path of progress.=C2=A0 It took nearly=

    five years to get 1.6.0 out the door because of known instability
    issues.=C2=A0 Having shipped 1.6.0 in August, 1.6.1 has yet to ship
    because of production problems with that release (NAT pings, idle
    dead, and related issues.)=C2=A0 The release schedule is to release 1=
=2E6.1
    as soon as the root cause of the known issues have been addressed.=C2=
=A0
    Identifying the root cause of a problem is critical because if we
    don't, we cannot be sure that the problem has in fact been
    addressed.=C2=A0 To identify root cause we work with members of the
    community that are experiencing an issue and have reported it to
    <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:openafs-bugs@ope=
nafs.org">openafs-bugs@openafs.org</a> (or who have a private support con=
tract.)=C2=A0
    Identifying root cause in really hard cases such as an apparently
    random data corruption issue can take a while.=C2=A0 Both the
    investigator and the tester need to have available cycles and the
    problem must be reproducible.<br>
    In terms of long term planning for releases such as the milestones
    listed on <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"http://www.op=
enafs.org/roadmap.html">www.openafs.org/roadmap.html</a>, OpenAFS is at t=
he mercy of
    outside forces.=C2=A0 For starters, the development organizations tha=
    intend to contribute a feature have to in fact do so.=C2=A0 Secondly,=

    after the 2008 NJIT best practice workshop the community decided
    that the standardization of the AFS protocol should not be left in
    the hands of OpenAFS.=C2=A0 The afs3-standardization process was form=
ed
    and the OpenAFS Elders agreed that no protocol changes would be
    accepted into OpenAFS without the afs3-standardization process being
    satisfied.<br>
    Simon argues that we should have timed releases no matter what.=C2=A0=
 The
    big problem with time releases occurs when there are significant
    issues that are extremely time consuming to address, many of the
    resources that are available for release management get spent on
    debugging and testing.<br>
    There is a broader problem as well which is that there is a
    significant concentration of development resources in a very small
    number of organizations.=C2=A0 Your File System Inc. is responsible f=
or
    funding or implementing over 60% of the code contributions to
    OpenAFS.=C2=A0 Sine Nomine is responsible for about 20% and the remai=
ning
    15% or so come from approximately 30 to 35 other developers or
    documentation writers over the course of a year.<br>
    Over the last three years Your File System and Secure Endpoints have
    averaged $225,000 a year in unfunded work on OpenAFS.=C2=A0 This cove=
rs
    gatekeeping, release management, testing, and following up and
    addressing every issue that is reported to <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-a=
bbreviated" href=3D"mailto:openafs-bugs@openafs.org">openafs-bugs@openafs=
=2Eorg</a>
    for which there is not already a known fix.<br>
    It is my opinion as a gatekeeper that there can be no long term
    improvement in the OpenAFS release scheduling until such time as the
    underlying financing problems are addressed.=C2=A0 Until OpenAFS has =
some
    resources to manage, the gatekeepers will continue to do the best we
    can with the time that is available to us.<br>
    Jeffrey Altman<br>