[OpenAFS-devel] 1.6.1pre3?

Simon Wilkinson simonxwilkinson@gmail.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 09:30:33 +0000

On 4 Mar 2012, at 08:08, Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Which has nothing to do with the planning for the release process,
> which seems to be undertaken by some unknown group of people without
> any communication to the wider community.

Traditionally, release-team has been the collection of people who have volun=
teered to build, and smoke-test OpenAFS on the various platforms that we aim=
 to provide binaries for at the time of release. Their involvement in releas=
e planning has pretty much been limited to Derrick saying "please build this=
" and them saying "it works".

Recently, however, folk on release-team have been saying "it doesn't work", w=
hich is why they perhaps have more knowledge of the 1.6.1 process than those=
 who aren't building packages.

I've been arguing for a while that OpenAFS should switch to date based featu=
re freezes - nothing else really makes sense for a project with no resources=
. However, doing this effectively would mean that we have to stop pulling ne=
w features in midway through a set of pre-releases.

Cheers,

Simon.=