[OpenAFS-devel] Re: 1.6.1pre3?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 14:06:47 -0600

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 03:08:16 -0500
Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Which has nothing to do with the planning for the release process,
> which seems to be undertaken by some unknown group of people without
> any communication to the wider community.[1] By contrast, most other
> open-source projects have a public release schedule or set of release
> milestones, and these things are announced on an obvious mailing-list
> (like one whose name suggests that it is targeted towards developers)
> on a regular basis.

I'm not hearing a great need for a great big structured release
schedule/plan like other projects with central infrastructure have (what
Jeff is talking about). While I think everyone would like that, the
limitations of resources are known.

What I'm hearing as a more immediate desire, which is not very dependant
on resources, is just more information about current status/plans, which
I find can be very unclear. Usually when anybody asks, a good answer is
given about what we're waiting on (waiting to fix bug X, waiting for
person Y to build something, waiting Z days after a prerelease), but
currently that appears to be the only way to know. It shouldn't need to
be asked; there should be something to check as currently there is no
notification of when that changes.

For example, right now I _think_ we're waiting on pre4 builds, giving
pre4 a bit of time, and maybe that mentioned probably-solaris-specific
issue. But I'm not sure.

And before that, I've had good _guesses_ as to what the blocking issues
are, but I never know if that list is complete or how out-of-date it is,
unless I've asked tptb in the last 5 minutes. For a more average person,
the only way they'd know some of these issues even exist is by closely
following discussion in lists, and they'd only have any idea if
something was blocking a release if they are technical enough to
evaluate the seriousness of an issue.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net