[OpenAFS-devel] Re: 1.6.1pre3?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Sun, 04 Mar 2012 16:04:07 -0500

--------------enigBE54C67F163E6E99D8081E9D

On 3/4/2012 3:06 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> I'm not hearing a great need for a great big structured release
> schedule/plan like other projects with central infrastructure have (wha=
> Jeff is talking about). While I think everyone would like that, the
> limitations of resources are known.

The requests that I hear repeatedly are:

 * when is rxgk going to be shipped?

 * when is ipv6 going to be shipped?

 * when is rx/tcp going to be shipped?

These are not the short term release schedule requests that you are
referring to.  Jason Edgecombe filled a communication gap for a year or
two by producing the monthly development status newsletter.  Jason ran
out of time to maintain it and no one else volunteered to pick it up
from him.  You are more than welcome to volunteer to restart the
newsletter or to push status updates to the openafs-web git repository
each time you feel like asking the question and you get an answer.

The fact is that the resource limitations while known to you are not
well known to the organizations that depend upon OpenAFS releases.  The
assumption among most managers is that OpenAFS gatekeepers are well paid
for their work and OpenAFS is free to use except for the cost of
in-house system administrators and the hundreds of thousands or millions
of dollars or Euros that are spent on the back end storage from NetApp,
EMC, etc.

While I sympathize with the desire to have more information in a timely
fashion, the lack of information is a direct result of the number of
hours in day not keeping up with the scope of our responsibilities and
the need to put food on the table and keep a roof over our heads.

For those that are going to ask:

  1.6.1pre4 has been given to the release team to begin testing and
  producing binary builds.  There may still be an outstanding issue
  on Solaris for which we are dependent upon a tester that is currently
  on vacation to attempt to reproduce a failure condition.  Pre4 is the
  first build on Windows that contains a proposed work-around for the
  Windows 7 SMB redirector bug that prevent connection establishment
  after the network interface state changes.

Jeffrey Altman