[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Out of band FetchData/StoreData

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:26:00 -0500

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:15:28 -0400
Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am also currently not releasing the code publicly, because the
> > protocol used in it is a nonstandard extension (although using reserved
> > RPC code points), and I don't want someone running this in a public
> > cell. But am I just being overly cautious and silly about that? I have
> > no problem with code review (though it seems a bit early for that) or
> > people experimenting with it or anything, but I just imagine what
> > happens if Joe Q Admin sees "here's some code to make afs go faster"...
>
> the sort of people to whom it would be useful would be only the ones
> who control their whole environment anyway;

Well sorta, but... while you need to control the server and client for
it to make a difference, if you install it on client A and fileserver B,
if fileserver B is _also_ open to the outside world (or client A can
contact the outside world), that seems like a problem.

> i'd expect packagers to steer clear of it and thus unless someone was
> building their own stuff end to end it wouldn't matter anyway.

Well... some people do do that :) Less common on Linux, though, I
suppose, though pulling patches into existing packaging frameworks isn't
hard.

I also meant to mention that this is all Linux-only at the moment. The
fileserver bits are trivial to port, but I assume the client bits are
more work (at least, in order to do zero-copy stuff...).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net